Tom Venuto's BodybuildingSecrets.com

Is Bodybuilding a Dysfunctional Vanity Sport?

Tom Venuto

Those on the extreme side of the form versus function debate claim that bodybuilding is “a completely dysfunctional sport of pure vanity.” I was recently a guest on the Fitcast show for the 3rd time and hosts Kevin Larrabee and Leigh Peele brought me on to talk about natural bodybuilding, dispel bodybuilding myths and explain the virtues of the natural way to physique development. All bodybuilding, fitness, figure and physique athletes should check out this 5-minute audio clip from the show…

Click the play button on the audio player below to listen:

Related links

Leigh Peele
www.FatLossTroubleshooter.com

The Fitcast Show
www.TheFitCast.com

Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle: Fat Burning Secrets of Bodybuilders and Fitness Models
www.BurnTheFat.com

Published on 28 August, 2009

Comments

Lee said:

Godd answer, Tom. I think the whole "bodybuilding is pure vanity" reaction can be boiled down to the fact that people who have made the lifestyle decision to not work out or watch their nutrition basically feel quite uncomfortable when confronted with a person who has taken action and shows results by their figure.
It's far easier to express insecurity by making negative comments than face up to the fact that you have been neglecting your own health.

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 12:08 PM

Canadian Bodybuilding said:

For some it is. For others it's a business venture, using their bodies as a marketing tool. And there are also those that do it for health reasons.

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 11:41 AM

AlexHK said:

I am in it for health reasons. I actually got involved by coincidence, using Tom's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle ebook. For more than 2 years I am now eating and training like a 100% natural bodybuilder.

It turned my life around in many ways: I went from 23% to below 10% bodyfat due to motivation, nutrition and workouts. Health improved drastically. Bad cholesterol (LDL), good cholesterol (HDL) and triglycerides were all in the red before I started. Now they are in the optimal ranges and I definitely look and feel a lot better than I ever did before. I've also inspired family and friends to join this adventure just because I look and act a lot different nowadays.

Posted on Oct 01, 2009 01:05 PM

stasik said:

Vanity is due to ego, and everyone's ego is manifested in different ways. To BB's its bigger muscles, to a sprinter, its the time on the clock when he is done his sprint.

My story is damn near identical to what AlexHK listed, Tom's book is invaluable nutritional information for anyone who is starting out a nutritional lifestyle change.

Thanks a lot!

~Stasik

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 08:56 PM

Restore said:

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 01, 2010 10:58 PM

Anabolic Board said:

Of course link anything else there are a few crazies involved, but that doesn't make the whole area of activity dysfunctional or only done but ego maniacs.

Posted on Jun 01, 2010 07:50 PM

Canada Bodybuilding said:

Without doubt it is for some, however some just enjoy the lifestyle and for health. Personally for me, I love the lifestyle!

Posted on Sep 09, 2010 06:21 PM